For Pat: Katong Laksa
My dearest friend Pat had made a small request……”S, could you teach me how to make laksa? I want to make it for J.”
Because of her love for the boyfriend and his love for Katong Laksa, I googled around for the ingredients and did a test run for my lovely Pat.
So here it is Pot, in case you are ever in New York, have lost the paper recipie and all you need is to just drop by my blog to retrieve the recipie for a nice surprise for J.
***Serving Size is for 4 people.
Ingredients of spices: To be grounded/blended
- 2 lemon grass (serai)
- 2 inch galangal (lengkuas)
- 6 candlenuts (buah keras)
- 10 or more shallots (ie: small purple onions)
- 10 or more cloves garlic
- 15 dried chillies or 2 tbsp ground chilli powder
- 2 tsp of fine shrimp paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp tumeric powder or 2 thumb size pieces fresh tumeric (kunyit)
- 2 tbsp coriander (ketumbar) powder
- A) 2 handful of dried shrimps/prawns, ground finely
Other ingredients (do not ground)
- 1 to 1.5 Knorr Cube, shrimp or ikan bilis flavour
- 1 can of coconut milk
- B)1 handful of dried shrimps/prawn, (no need to ground)
- Salt and sugar to taste.
- 1 packet daun kesum(laksa leaves)–approximately 20 leaves (washed n sliced thinly)
- One fishcake (sliced lengthwise)
- Some fishballs,halved
- Taupok/ tofu puffs, sliced in quarters
- 4 handfuls of beansprouts
- 8-10 fresh prawns, deveined and sliced into half.
- Prawn essence:Using the leftover prawnhead, pour about 3-5 tbs of water and squeeze the head so that the prawn juices will come out.
- Laksa noodles (cut into short lengths)/ Bee Hoon (enough for 4 people, I say about 2 handfuls per person)
Heat non-stick sauce pot until hot.Then add 2 cups oil and stir fry all fine ingredients with medium heat till fragrant and chilli oil oozes out from the mixture. Add in whole dried shrimp and stir fry mixture for another 2-3 mins. Scoop 1/2 portion of the spicesout and set aside and leave the rest in the sauce pot. The other half can be kept for the next batch of laksa.
Turn stove heat to high,add in shrimp cube, the prawn essence,daun kesum and coconut milk mixed with some water (about 1 to 1.5 cup) to boil. Add sugar and salt to taste. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes , stirring continuously. Finally add in the fishcake, tofu puffs and prawns into the laksa mix and cook for 1 minute. It’s ready to serve!!
In another pot, blanch the beansprouts and laksa noodles separately. And you add how much you want into each bowl!
Note: The reason why I didn’t put chicken shreds in the recipie is because Katong Laksa doesn’t serve it but I wanted some in mine. I realised it didn’t taste so good with laksa because the essence of laksa is in its gravy/soup, having simple beansprouts, prawns, tofu puff, and fishcake slices are just nice. Fishballs is a lovely addition to the dish as well.